Thursday 9 December 2010

Chelmsford Train Station...

This was added into the animation to show that essex is set in an idela location. You have the beauty of the rural landscapes (which will be modelled), yet it is still close to London and other areas that can be reached by a short train journey. I decided to model Chelmsford train station...

I started by finding some reference images from as many angles as possible...



This also showed the colour scheme and materials that it is constructed out of which will be very usefull.

I started the modeling with boxes. I made he platforms first and dedicated one perspective veiwport to the final scene. This way i could work in all the others, but the final scene veiwport always stayed the same so I could see what it would look like at the end. I wanted the camera to be positioned looking over the track but still be focused on the other side where all the detail will be.

I used editable boxes as it was all very angular. The iron railings were created by creating one and copying it several times. I used a reflective raytrace on the windows and advertising signs.

Here is a final screen shot after adding a material to it.



I believe lighting plays a massive part to get it to look realistic alongside decent materials. As far as lighting goes, I used omni's I set up 4 different omnis which can be seen in this screenshot. That may seem a tad excessive, but I altered the intensity, colour and what is affected by their shadows to give the final outcome.


Omni number 1 is in place with the highest intensity. This is to give the impression of the sun coming from the back of the station as if it evening time.

This is slightly orange/yellow to give the evening sun colour.

The raytraced shadows are turned on and effect everything. Once i Had applied this alot of the main scene was in shadow.

I added omni number 2 and 3 to act as lights under the shelter. This lit everything up inside the station but was not quite as intense so it didn't wash everything out. These show the texture on the platform well.

The fourth omni was put in place to light up the train tracks and create realistic shadows.

I think the lighting turned out veyr well on this scene and it gives a great effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment